The following topics are included on this page:
- General Information
- Accessible Parking
- Accessible Restrooms
- Accessible Entrances
- Navigation of the Estate
- Audio and Visual Services
- Requesting Accommodations
- Discounted Admission
For additional information or to request an accommodation, please contact us at 888-454-4536 or [email protected].
- Service dogs welcomed. Pets or emotional support animals are not permitted on the property.
- The mansion is not air-conditioned.
- Basic first aid supplies and AEDs are available.
- There are no power assist doors.
- For a map of the estate, please view our visitor guide here, Visitor_Guide2019.
There are six (6) Accessible Parking spaces. These spaces are located near the Ticket House building in the southeast corner of the parking lot. Each accessible parking space is adjacent to an approximate eight (8) foot accessible aisle.
For Grounds tours and activities, Outdoor Accessible Portable Bathroom Units can be found near the Ticket House. For Mansion tours and activities, Indoor Accessible Bathrooms with accessible stalls can be found on the lower level.
- Lower level entrance – past the servants courtyard, take a right before the balcony.
- Main entrance – use ramp to the right of the main doors.
- Accessible parking – in southeast corner of parking lot.
- Carriage house accessible entrance – continue on main path then veer left, a gift house employee will be waiting to open the doors.
- Indoor Bathrooms – located on the lower level with an accessible stall.
There are Paved or Cobblestone Pathways to the Mansion, Carriage House, Gardener’s Cottage, Ticket House and Parking Lot. Many pathways are uneven and difficult to navigate in some areas. Distances and moderate inclines between locations are listed below. Visitors with mobility challenges may find distances and inclines difficult to navigate especially during inclement weather. We recommend visiting with a friend or power-assisted device to help with navigation.
- Distance from the Parking Lot to the Carriage House is 300 feet (91 meters) or 9/10 of a block.
- Distance from the east side of the Carriage House to the Mansion is 430 feet (131 meters) or 1 ⅓ block.
- Distance from the west side of the Carriage House to the mansion is 475 feet (145 meters) or 1 ½ block.
- The paved path from the Carriage House to the Mansion has a moderate incline.
- The paved path from the Carriage House to the Boathouse has a moderate to steep incline.
Glensheen Mansion is a five-story structure with several staircases. An elevator is not available. To bypass the lower level staircases, two exterior ramps enable access to the lower level and main floor.
The Carriage House is a two-story structure. An elevator is not available. When entering the building from the east, two stairs segment the cow stanchions from the horse stalls and gift shop. To bypass these two stairs, an accessible entrance is available on the building’s west facade. Upon arrival, signs direct patrons to the accessible entrance.
Videos depicting the floors in the Mansion and Carriage House that are accessible only by navigating stairs are available onsite to visitors with mobility challenges. Videos have English subtitles without audio and depict the following areas: Mansion Second Floor, Mansion Third Floor, and Nooks and Crannies tour.
Doors on the estate are not power assisted. We encourage patrons to visit with a friend to help open doors. Staff are also available to provide the best experience possible.
Two wheelchairs are provided in the Ticket House and are available for use on a first come, first served basis.These wheelchairs are often available at all times. Staff can help with providing the wheelchair.
Outdoor seating is positioned at the Ticket House (located at the base of the parking lot) and the Carriage House (the location of the start of the tour and the gift shop). Additional seating is positioned sporadically around the 12-acre estate.
Indoor seating in the mansion is available in most rooms to encourage resting and enjoyment of the house museum. The third floor also offers portable chairs guests can take and use on the full mansion tour.
Audio and Visual Services
DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING
The Glensheen App is available to interpret the lower level, main floor, and second floor. The App provides both written and spoken information. An ASL interpreter is available upon request with advanced, two-week notice.
BLIND OR LOW VISION
The Glensheen App is available to interpret the lower level, main floor, and second floor. The App provides both written and spoken information. Touch tours are available upon request with advanced, two-week notice.
Glensheen will do their best to make any accommodations requested in advance. To request an accommodation or if you have any questions you can email [email protected] or call (218) 726-8910
Discounted rates exist for many such as: Seniors, Veterans, Active Military Personnel and their families, and children.
FREE COMMUNITY OFFERINGS
Community Days or Nights are offered twice a year. These events welcome patrons to tour the general admission spaces free of charge. Throughout the year, various community events are also
offered free of charge.
Admission to community offerings is first come, first served on the day of the event. Capacities may exist. Upcoming dates and events are announced on the Glensheen Events Calendar.